This bootable CD includes many system tools. Here is a short description of them.
 Browse the detailed package list
- Browse the x86 detailed package list:
- Browse the Sparc detailed package list:
- Browse the PPC detailed package list:
 Information about important packages
- SystemRescueCd-1.1.0 is based on linux-188.8.131.52. It was patched in order to add support for the Reiser4 file system, and add the Speakup screen reader for blind people. The precompiled kernel includes a lot of drivers, in order to work for most users.
- is the most interesting feature of this CD. Use this graphical partition tool to see a chart of your hard disk, create, format, delete, and modify partitions. (It can be considered the best free Partition-Magic clone).
- an excellent text based partitioning tool.
- sfdisk is a partition table tool. You can save
and restore your partition table from/into a file. Even logical
partitions are supported. For example,
sfdisk -d /dev/hda > hda-backupwill make a backup, and
cat hda-backup | sfdisk /dev/hdawill restore your partition table. It's very useful if you make an error with
parted. Don't keep the backup on the hard disk of course! You need to copy the backup to another computer, or to any removable media.
- searches for lost partitions. It supports reiserfs, ntfs, fat32, ext2/3 and many others
- recover lost files including video, photos, documents and archives.
- saves/restores partitions of your hard disk into an image file. If you have a problem with your hard disk (virus, crash, error), you can restore it without having to reinstall the OS. (Ghost/DriveImage clone)
- GRUB / LILO
- are the most common bootloaders used with Linux. You can restore your bootloader from this SystemRescueCd. For example, if Windows removed GRUB, you can run grub from this CD, and reinstall this bootloader.
- File System tools
- Each file system has its own tools. For example XFS provides xfsprogs. It allows the user to format an existing partition, to resize another one, ... We provide reiserfsprogs for ReiserFS, Reiser4progs, xfsprogs for XFS, jfsprogs for JFS, e2fsprogs for ext2/ext3, ntfsprogs for NTFS, dosfstools for FAT/VFAT.
- (Enterprise Volume Management System) is a powerful logical volume manager. It allows you to manage the space of your hard disk with a more powerful approach than partitions.
- Archiving tools
- Of course, tar/gzip/bzip2 are provided for Unix users. This CD also contains zip/unzip, rar/unrar/unace for Windows users. It allows users to backup/restore their data from this bootable disc. We also added Dar (Disk Archiver). It's like tar but it's a lot more powerful.
- During a system rescue, you may need to edit system files. We provide nano (a lightweight editor), vim-6.2 (VI Improved), qemacs (emacs clone), elvis and joe. You can also use Leafpad, a graphical text editor under X.Org.
- Midnight Commander
- MidnightCommander (mc) is a NortonCommander clone for Linux. It is very easy to use, and allows you to browse all the files on your hard disk. You can copy, rename, delete, move, search and edit files.
- CD/DVD burning tools
- You can use the cdrecord packages, that comes with mkisofs. It is the linux standard CD burning command from console. Mkisofs allows you to create an ISO image file to use with cdrecord. Cdw is a text based front end to make cdrecord and mkisofs easier to use. Udftools are provided for packet writing. Now, you can also use dvd+rwtools. This package makes DVD burning possible.
- Network File Tools
- We also provide basic network
tools in order to allow you to exchange data with other computers. You
can use ftp, ssh (client and server), ppp(connect to the internet),
lynx (console web browser). LUFS (Linux Userland File System), NFS, and
mount -t smbfs //ip/share /mnt/pathallow you to mount remote file systems
- Network admin tools
- Many standard network administration tools are provided: DNS-tools (such as nslookup), nmap (network exploration), netcat (network piping tool).
- Security tools
- Chkrootkit searches for a rootkit installed on your system (rootkit is a package installed by a hacker that allows them to hack it).
- Clam-AntiVirus is a free sofware Anti-Virus. You can update the definitions from the CD-ROM, and scan your system for a virus.
- Web browsers
- Two text web browsers are provided:
lynx(from console terminal) and
elinks (from X terminal).
- allows mounting NTFS partitions with full Read and Write support. Read the manual for informations about how to use it. (In SystemRescueCd version 0.3.x, NTFS-3g replaces CaptiveNTFS).
- is a very powerful and easy to use multi-paradigm high-level programming language, that supports Oriented Object Programming.
- is a powerful and free language. Many administration scripts, and many programs are written in perl.
- Secure Deletion
- Several wiping tools (such as shred and wipe) ensure that files are really erased from your hard disk.
- Misc Tools
- md5deep calculates the MD5 sum in subdirectories
 System boot disks
The CD comes with several floppy disk images. These can be used as if they were real boot floppy disks.
- FreeDos allows running DOS programs without MS-DOS
- MemTest+ test the physical memory, and tells if it is damaged or not
- Gag (Graphical Boot Manager) an easy to use Boot manager (such as LILO)
- Ranish Partition Manager a bootable partition editor
- Aida a powerful hardware enumeration/diagnostic/discovery tool (as sandra)
- MHDD low-level Hard Disk Drive Diagnostic. Reports S.M.A.R.T. data, firmware errorlog, runs firmware tests, scans surface reporting access times per sector and much more. Revised documentation at